Sunday, January 31, 2010

'Twas a cold and gloomy day!

Well, not completely as the sun did come out a bit later, but it sure started out snowy and gloomy!  Nonetheless, the kestrels and harriers were out in force again, especially the harriers.  It is not unusual to see two crossing paths and sometimes three as they perform the hunting dance!




Saw a few shovelers today, first ducks in a while besides the coots.  The pied bill grebes that are usually hanging out at the far end of the dike were not visible today.  However, as if to say "Spring is coming" we saw several red-winged blackbirds!  And eagles, while not abundant, were around out on the ice.  Plus one that flew right over me as if he knew I wanted a nice eagle shot!





The most amazing thing today was the picture of the hawks on the fence!  I only saw two hawks when I took the picture.  However, after looking at it on my computer later, I counted 6!  Six hawks all in a row - and they all look like harriers, tho' hard to tell at the distance and resolution.

Once again, a fine day at the refuge!

No comments:

Post a Comment